House of Bernarda Alba
* Costume design: Charith Senadira and Shirathie Mallikarachchi
* Set design: Nuwan Thanuranka de Silva and Namal Jayasinghe
* Make up: Priyantha Dissanayake
*Music: Theja Buddika
* Lighting: Ranga Samarakoon, Sanjaya Hettiarachchi, Prasanna
Mahagamage, Namal Jayasinghe, Priyantha Sirikumara
* Choreography: Namal Jayasinghe
* Production Coordination: Sanjaya Hettiarachchi, Wishwajith
Gunasekara and Praveen Kulasinghe
* Stage Manager: Aruna Prageeth Jayasena
* Co Sponsors: X10 (Pvt) Ltd, Sky Entertainers, Odlo
* Writer: Garcia Lorca
* Translator: Ranjini Obesekara
* Director: Priyantha Sirikumara
of the drama
Garcia Lorca’s ‘House of Bernarda Alba’ is being reproduced for the
fourth time in Sri Lanka with an all star studded female cast and will
hit the Sri Lankan stage at Lionel Wendt on March 26 and 27 at 7 pm,
under direction of Priyantha Sirikumara.
Although it was written in 1936 ‘La casa de Bernarda Alba’ was not
staged until late 1945 due to the murder of Lorca by the Nationalists.
Since then the play has been reproduced over a 100 times, in many
languages in many countries, as theatre productions, musicals and films.
The play has been interpreted as a ‘Play of Women’ by Garcia Lorca,
which is woven around a family of five daughters and a mother struggling
to find their solidity through the conflicts of the day-to-day life.
House of Bernarda Alba highlights issues of ‘sexual and political
repression’, and reverse-oppression by victims who live under a ‘fascist
The play questions the influence of class and religion on its
characters where fanatic attempts to maintain honour through oppression
ultimately result in death.
Kaushalya Fernando, Chandani Senevirathne, Chamila Pieris, Nadee
Kammallaweera, Duleeka Marapana and others make up the cast of ‘House of