Colombo Hindu College celebrates Diamond Jubilee
Offering wholesome Hindu education
The Colombo Hindu College which was
established by the Hindu Educational Society of Colombo on February 12,
1951 is celebrating its Diamond Jubilee today (February 12)
The Colombo Hindu College has served the Hindu Community very
splendidly offering the wholesome education which has been defined as
"the first and the foremost thing that the best of men and women can
On February 5, 1951, under the Chairmanship of Justice Chellappah
Nagalingam (KC) and 24 eminent personalities of the Hindu Community in
Colombo formed a society under the name 'Hindu Educational Society' with
a view to take meaningful steps to facilitate the Hindu students in the
city having their education in their own religions and cultural
background. In fact, on February 12, 1951 the Hindu Educational Society
gave birth to this school under the name 'Pillaiyar Padasalai' at Sri
Kathiresan Temple madam only with 48 children.
Through the indefatigable efforts of Senator Advocate S Nadesan,
Advocate V A Kandiah and Proctor Somasunderam the Hindu Educational
Society was able to secure an acre of valuable land in the heart of
Colombo situated at Bambalapitiya. This land was placed at the disposal
of the society as a result of the magnificent generosity and magnanimity
of Annamalai Mudaliyar, the Managing Director of the Madras Palayakat Co
and his Co-Directors who were the Trustees of the Sri Kathiravelautha
Swamy Temple at First Cross Street and of the Manicka Pillaiyar Temple
In March 1951, the Pillaiyar Padasalai was shifted to the present
premises. K Pathmanathan was the first Principal of this school and J
Sathasivam functioned as the head Master of the Primary School. N
Satyendra was the Principal from 1957-1959, T Subramaniam functioned as
Principal from 1959-1962, S Ambalavanar from 1962-1967, P Nalliah from
1967-1970, T Sangaralingam from 1971-1985, D R Rajalingam from
1986-1990, S Sri Rajasingam from 1990-1991, P S Sarma from 1991-1996,
from 1996, Thambipillai Muthukumarasamy now functions as Principal of
In 1958, Justice Nagalingam who was the Manager of this school and
the philanthropist S Mahadevan passed away and 'Sivamani' Sir Kandiah
Vaithianathan became the manager of this school in 1959. In 1962, the
school was vested in the Government.
Hindu College. File photo
It was during the period of service of S Ambalavanar, the idea of
making this school to serve the needs of Hindu: on par with the Colombo
Hindu College at Ratmalana took shape. In 1967, under the stewardship of
P Nalliah, Grade six was started and the school was raised to the status
of a Junior School.
P Nalliah gave new shape and life for the school. First ever sports
meet was held on March 31, 1968 and first ever prize-giving was held on
March 28, 1969 with Prime Minister Dudley Senanayake as the chief guest.
After the retirement of P Nalliah in 1970, T Sangaralingam took over
the principalship of this school from February 1971.
In the NCGE Examination held for the first time in 1975, 76 out of 97
students qualified to follow HNCE classes. This was considered as a
Present Principal T Muthukumaraswamy is a multi-faceted and
multi-dimensional personality with vision, mission and foresight.
He has an excellent style of management of delegating
responsibilities to his staff and co-ordinating and supervising the
same. In fact, Hindu College has earned a good name and reputation due
to his management skills.
In keeping with the requirements of the changing trends of the modern
world he was instrumental in having a Computer Laboratory established at
the school and also acquiring a multi-media projector.
Construction of a new three storey block near the sports pavilion,
provision of improved toilet facilities for students, construction of a
Botanical garden and also of a Cultural Bond near the Kovil and fixing
microphone connections to all classes are some of his achievements.