Toll rises to six
California gas blast
US: The toll in a huge gas pipeline blast in California rose to six
after two more bodies were found Saturday, authorities said. I can
confirm that two more bodies have been found this morning. I have no
other details, Steve Firpo, a spokesman for San Bruno township near San
Francisco told AFP.
The two bodies raised to six the number of fatalities from the huge
gas pipeline blast late on Thursday that also injured 52 people three
with third degree burns and destroyed 37 homes leaving seven others
The blast-triggered fire consumed four hectares (10 acres) of
property and was completely extinguished by Friday night.
The initial death toll was put at four, but California Senator
Barbara Boxer told reporters in San Bruno Saturday morning that two
people were still missing after the blast.
Firpo could not say for sure whether the two missing persons were
those found dead earlier Saturday. Emergency workers said they had
searched over 75 percent of the smoldering ruins.
But Lieutenant Governor Abel Maldonado standing in for California
governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, who is on a trade trip to Asia was
more cautious, stressing that a quarter of the inferno site had yet to
President Barack Obama Saturday called Schwarzenegger to express his
condolences for the tragic loss of life in San Bruno and his concern for
those still recovering from injuries, said White House spokesman Robert
Gibbs in a statement.
Three of the fatalities have been identified so far. They include a
mother and her 13-year-old daughter and a 20-year-old woman, the San
Mateo forensic institute said.
Local utility Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E) said a natural gas main
ruptured in the town near San Francisco International Airport.