Suspended IPL boss replies to rebel league charges
Suspended Indian Premier League chief Lalit Modi has responded to
allegations that he tried to set up a rebel league in England without
the knowledge of cricket chiefs, his lawyer said Tuesday.
English cricket boss Giles Clarke last month contacted the Indian
board detailing Modi’s alleged plans to involve English counties in an
IPL-style tournament featuring top stars.
Clarke said Modi had held a secret meeting with officials from
Lancashire, Warwickshire and Yorkshire in New Delhi on March 31 to
discuss the proposal without the knowledge of the boards concerned.
“Modi sent his reply by email on Monday night and I will submit a
hard copy of the reply to the BCCI (Board of Control for Cricket in
India) today,” lawyer Mehmood Abdi told reporters.
Abdi declined to reveal the contents of the reply amid unconfirmed
reports that Modi’s lawyers in England had sent a legal notice to Clarke
to withdraw the allegation.
The BCCI had asked Modi to explain the move, which it said was
“detrimental to Indian cricket, English cricket and world cricket at
Modi on May 15 replied to separate charges of corruption and
indiscipline levelled by the BCCI after he was suspended as chairman of
the glitzy Twenty20 tournament.
The BCCI, which owns the IPL, ordered a probe into allegations of
corruption, tax evasion and money-laundering in the tournament after the
government launched an investigation.
Modi was also stood down as a BCCI vice-president and as chairman of
the T20 Champions League, a separate club tournament organised jointly
by India, Australia and South Africa.
The charges against Modi include rigging IPL bids, holding proxy
stakes in teams and receiving kickbacks in return for broadcasting
Modi, 46, had run the IPL as a virtual one-man show since its
inception three years ago, creating a heady and lucrative blend of
star-studded cricket, big business and Bollywood glamour. His troubles
began in April when he revealed the ownership details of a new franchise
set to join the tournament in 2011.
He embarrassed a high-profile member of the government, junior
foreign minister Shashi Tharoor, by leaking on the Twitter micro-blogging
site how Tharoor’s girlfriend had been given a free stake in the new
Under pressure from the opposition, which accused Tharoor of misusing
his office to secure benefit for himself, the minister was forced to
NEW DELHI, AFP