Flower appointed new England coach
Andy Flower was on Wednesday named as the new England coach by the
England and Wales Cricket Board.
The 40-year-old former Zimbabwe and Essex batsman was unveiled as the
man to lead England's bid to win The Ashes at a press conference at
He was the overwhelming favourite to be given the job after stepping
in as caretaker when Peter Moores was sacked in January. Flower, who
acted as Moores's assistant in 2007, takes over the top job in English
cricket after overseeing the recent tour of the West Indies.
Crucially he had the support of players like England skipper Andrew
Strauss and all-rounder Andrew Flintoff, who were impressed by his
man-management in the Caribbean.
Under his management England were defeated in the Test series before
securing a 3-2 victory in the one-day series.
His first fixture on a hectic summer schedule comes on May 6 and the
start of the West Indies return tour, followed by the Twenty20 World Cup
and The Ashes against Australia.
Speaking at Lord's, Flower conceded he had been reluctant to put his
name forward before changing his mind in the Caribbean.
"When I went on that West Indian tour I didn't know whether I wanted
to apply for this job or not," he told the press conference.
"Halfway through I had made up my mind that I did.
"I'm very honoured to be given the position. I believe the last three
months will stand me in good stead.
"I was interim coach for that tour, now that I'm in charge, so to
speak, things change, definitely."
Flower admitted there were difficult decisions ahead and asked about
a possible return to the Test arena for former England captain Michael
Vaughan, Flower said: "That is one of the topics that will be
discussed." Flower also backed former captain Kevin Pietersen, whose
fall-out with Moores ended with Pietersen losing the captaincy and
Moores leaving his post.
Flower added on Pietersen: "He's very important to English cricket.
He's a very fine player. Kevin and I have always got on pretty well and
that hasn't changed."
Hugh Morris, managing director of the England and Wales Cricket
Board, revealed there had been 30 applicants for the role.
Morris said: "We had a great deal of interest. We were very happy
with the level of candidates and the standard of candidates who applied
for the job. LONDON, Thursday, AFP